Horse gram or Kollu is a healthy gram which is used in many recipes in the Kongu Region of Tamilnadu. Horse gram is rich in iron, calcium and protein, low in fat and high in carbohydrate. It is low in lipid and sodium content, and its slow digestible starch make ideal for diabetic and obesity patients.
It is known for its excellent diuretic and astringent aspects. The horse gram water has diuretic properties and dissolves the kidney stones. Diuretics increase the elimination of water from the body. Scientists from the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology have found that unprocessed raw horse gram seeds not only possess anti-hyperglycemic properties but also have qualities which reduce insulin resistance.
So I thought of posting a recipe using Kollu which I often make. When you have a cold or cough making kollu rasam is a good option as it helps in relieving you from cough and cold. But it has body heating properties. So make this rasam during winter.
|Kollu or Horse Gram||– ½ cup|
|Tamarind||– small lemon sized|
|Garlic||– 4 pieces|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Coriander leaves||– a few|
|Asafoetida||– a pinch|
|Rasam powder||– 3 tsps.|
|Oil or Ghee||– 2 tsps.|
|Mustard||– ½ tsp.|
- Clean and soak the horse gram in water for eight hours. You can also dry roast the gram and soak for 1 hour and then use.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of hot water.
- Peel the garlic and chop the tomato into small pieces keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker pressure cook the horse gram with enough water and keep aside. You can use the horse gram for making Kollu chutney.
- After removing from the cooker, strain the water from the cooked horse gram and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add oil and when the oil heats up add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard splutters, add the peeled garlic and saute till raw smell goes.
- Now add chopped tomato and fry till the tomato turns soft.
- Now add the water taken from the coked horse gram and add the tamarind water and boil.
- Add salt and rasam powder and boil till you get the bubble and switch off the stove. Do not over boil. Otherwise the rasam will lose its flavor.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Healthy Kollu rasam is ready to be served.