As my son’s holidays have started, I treid making Jalebis. Jalebi is very popular dish of North India. Jalebi is made out of Maida. Usually Jalebi is to made with the maida batter with curd and kept overnight for the batter to ferment. Then over the period of time, people started using yeast to make the batter ferment instantly. But now with Eno Fruit Salt, we can avoid fermentation process overnight and also the yeast. Just adding eno salt makes the jalebi puff up nicely in the oil. I tried this instant Jalebi and it came out very well.
|Maida / All Purpose Flour||– 1 cup|
|Corn Flour||– 2 tsp.|
|Vinegar||– ½ tsp.|
|Curd||– 2 tsp.|
|Eno Fruit Salt||– 1 tsp.|
|Water||– ½ cup + 1 tbsp.|
|Oil||– for deep frying|
|Ghee||– 3 tbsp.|
|Yellow food color||– a pinch|
|For Sugar Syrup:|
|Sugar||– 1 ½ cup|
|Water||– 2/3 cup|
|Lemon Juice||– 2 tbsp.|
- In a mixing bowl, add maida, corn flour and curd and mix well.
- Add vinegar and water, yellow food colcour and mix well.
- Finally add eno salt and mix well. After adding eno salt, you can see the batter starts to be frothy. Now our batter is ready. Keep it for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, let’s prepare out sugar syrup. Add sugar and water in a pan and keep it in the flame and allow the sugar to get dissolved in water.
- When the sugar syrup starts to boil, keep the flame in medium and stir continuously till you get a one-string consistency. When you rub a drop of sugar syrup in your fingers, you can see a string getting formed between your fingers.
- At this stage, add the lemon juice and stir well and remove from flame. Adding lemon juice prevents the crystallisation of the sugar syrup.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Take jalebi cloth or an empty sauce bottle to pour the batter.
- When the oil is hot enough, keep the flame medium and turn the sauce bottle upside down and squeeze it to form nice and round swirls in the oil.
- Deep fry the jalebi in low flame on both the sides till it becomes crispy.
- Remove the crispy jalebis and place it in paper towel for a minute and then add it to the sugar syrup. Nicely coat the both sides of the jalebi with sugar syrup and soak it for a minute and then remove the sugar syrup coated jalebi in another plate.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the batter and prepare jalebis in the same way
- Your mouth watering jalebis are ready to serve.