Pongal is a Harvest festival celebrated by the people of Tamilnadu. It is celebrated for four days. In these days Sarkkarai Pongal or sweet pongal is made in Tamilnadu. My mother used to make pongal with milk. I am giving the recipe of Milk Sarkarai Pongal. Happy Pongal to all.
|Raw rice||– 1 cup|
|Moong dhal(Broken)||– ½ cup|
|Grated jaggery||– 1 ¼ cup|
|Cashewnuts||– 1 tbsp.|
|Water||– 2 ½ cups|
|Milk||– 2 cups|
|Dry grapes||– 1 tbsp.|
|Cardamaom powder||– ¼ tsp.|
|Ghee||– ¼ cup|
- Fry moong dhal in a pan without oil till it is slight red in colour and a nice smell comes out.
- In a pressure cooker take moong dhal along with rice and wash well.
- Add water and milk and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- In a separate vessel take the jaggery with ½ cup of water and heat till it dissolves well.
- Remove the whistle from the pressure cooker and add this jaggery syrup after filtering for impurities if any.
- Cook till pongal becomes thick.
- In a small pan heat the ghee and fry cashew nuts, dry grapes and finally add cardamom powder and mix well with the pongal.
- Jaggery can be added more depending on the sweetness you need.