Punjabi Dal Makhani is a traditional Punjabi dish. It is called dal makhani because in this recipe they use dals and butter. It tastes well the second day of preparation. In Punjab they serve this by topping with butter and white cream. This dish is highly nutritious with lots of health benefits as we use black ured dal.
|Black ured dhal||– ½ cup|
|Rajma or brown channa||– ¼ cup|
|Green Chillies||– 3|
|Ginger||– 2 inch piece|
|Fresh cream or butter||– 2 tbsp.|
|Ghee||– 2 tbsp.|
|Asafoetida||– 2 pinches|
|Cumin seeds||– ½ tsp.|
|Fenugreek seeds||– ¼ tsp.|
|Turmeric powder||– ¼ tsp.|
|Red chilli powder||– ½ tsp.|
|Salt||– as needed or 1 tsp.|
|Garam masala||– ¼ tsp.|
|Dhania powder||– 1 tsp.|
|Coriander leaves||– 1 handful|
- Clean and soak ured and channa or rajma for 8 hours.
- In a pressure cooker, take the dals and add salt and cook till 3 whistles.
- Grind tomatoes with half of the ginger and red chillies to fine paste.
- Clean and cut the remaining ginger into small pieces.
- In a pan, add ghee and then add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds becomes red, add fenugreek seeds for ½ a minute.
- Now add ginger pieces, turmeric powder, dhania powder and red chilli powder and cream.
- Stir till oil floats on the top.
- Add this masala to the dals after opening the cooker.
- If you want the dals to be thick add less water or more if you want it to be thin.
- Boil the masala and dal for 4 to 5 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Add garam masala and finely cut coriander leaves and mix well.
- You can have this dal makhani with nan, parathas, rotis and rice.
If you want you can cut one onion and 5 to 6 garlic pieces into fine pieces and add to the pan after adding cumin seeds and asafoetida and fry for few minutes. You can also use plain Black gram.