Pori urundai is a popular recipe made for Karthigai deepam. It is made in tamilnadu during Karthigai Deepam. It is easy to make if you have little practise. I have given the recipe here. Happy Karthigai Deepam to all.
|Aval pori or Nel pori||– 3 cups|
|Jaggery powdered||– 1 cup (pagu variety)|
|Dry gingerpowder||– ½ tsp.|
|Cardamom powder||– ½ tsp.|
|Small coconut pieces||– 2 tbsp.|
- Sieve and clean the The pori must be crisp and fresh. If the pori is not crisp fry the pori in a pan and keep.
- Spread iton a plate and keep.
- Mix jaggery with 1 cup of water and boil in a vessel till it dissolves completely.
- Strain to remove the dirt and boil again.
- When the syrup is boiling add coconut pieces.
- Boil until the proper consistency is reached.
- A tsp of syrup when dropped in a small cup of water should form a firm ball and not dissolve.
- Remove from stove and add dry ginger and cardamom powders and mix well.
- Pour all over the pori, mixing both, simultaneously and completely.All this should be done fast.
- Keep a little melted ghee ready in a cup.Smearing ghee in your hand, shape small heaps and keep in another plate.
- After the entire pori is done, shape the heaps into balls.
- Do not apply pressure – roll them lightly, as otherwise, they may become hard on cooling.
- Cool completely and store in airtight containers.
- If the pori and jaggery mixture cools, heat it for some time and then make balls.