The banana flower’s health benefits are numerous. Banana flower is a leafy maroon colored cone with cream colored florets layered inside. These florets should be cleaned well before they are cooked. The banana flower is rich in vitamins, flavonoids and proteins. The flower has been used in traditional medicine to treat bronchitis, constipation and ulcer problems. It eases menstrual cramps. The extracts of banana flower have antioxidant properties that prevent free radicals and control cell and tissue damage.
|Banana flower||– 1 big|
|Toor dhal||– 1 cup|
|Red chillies||– 5|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Oil||– 2 tsp.|
|Red chillies||– 1|
- Soak toor dhal for 1 hour in water.
- In the mean time, clean the banana flower by removing stamens and chop it.
- Put the cut pieces in buttermilk so that it will not turn black.
- Now grind the dhal along with chilli and salt with less water.
- In a pressure cooker, apply oil and steam the ground dhal paste for about 10 minutes.
- When cooled crumble and keep.
- Take it and now steam the banana flower without adding water for 5 minutes.
- Take a pan and splutter mustard seeds in oil and the fry red chillies.
- Add the banana flower and salt and cook till water gets absorbed.
- Now add the crumbled dhal and fry well and serve hot.
How to select a banana flower:
Select a flower that is firm and fresh. The outer leaves should have a smooth appearance, bright and free from cuts and blemishes. The outer leaves should overlap tightly.