Mahani pickle is a traditional pickle which my mother used to make at home. It is a blood purifier and has detoxifying and anti-inflammatory properties, and contains saponins which act as a diuretic and it is used to promote healthy kidney functioning.
|Mahani root||– 1 ½ Kg.|
|Turmeric powder||– 1 tsp.|
|Mustard seeds||– 2 tsps.|
|Red chilli powder||– ½ cup|
|Salt||– ¾ cup or as needed|
|Juce from lemon||– 1 cup|
- Wash mahani and put in water for 2 hours.
- Scrape outer skin and take out the core in the centre of the mahani and then cut into small pieces.
- Pour water into a vessel and put mahani pices and wash 3 or 4 times.
- Strain the water through a strainer.
- Powder mustard seeds and turmeric powder in a mixer.
- Add chilli powder and little water and grind to a paste.
- Add lemon juice to this mixture and mix in abroad vessel.
- Add cut mahani roots and salt and mix well.
- Keep in an airtight container.
- Mix once in 2 days and your pickle is ready in 20 days.