This is a tasty south Indian recipe made with coconut. This is a very simple recipe and can be made even by those who does not know cooking. Any south Indian would love to have coconut rice. This rice is made from fresh coconut and there are so many variations. When I used to study in Trichy, they used to make coconut rice and just before serving they will add fried and broken pappads/ Appalam in it. It was so awesome. After that whenever I make this rice I do the same way.
|Rice||– 1 cup|
|Grated coconut||– 1 cup|
|Oil||– 2 tbsp.|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Gram dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Green chillies||– 6 (cut into long pieces)|
|Broken cashews||– 10|
|Broken fried pappad||– 5|
- Cook the rice and separate the grains by putting 1 tsp. of oil and cooling it.
- Heat a pan and season mustard, ured, gram dhal.
- Add cashew nuts, curry leaves and green chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add the rice along with salt and mix well.
- When serving add broken pappad (appalam) and mix well and serve.