Idly is the simplest and gluten free south Indian food. It is a steamed food with less oil. It makes digestion easier . As idlis are fermented, it becomes more protein and vitamin rich. When fermented the availability of vitamin B increases. Today I am posting a soft idly recipe here.
|Par boiled rice or Idly rice||– 3 cups heaped|
|Ured dhal||– 1 cup heaped|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Oil||– for greasing|
- Wash and soak rice and dhal together for 3 hours.
- Put them in a grinder or mixie and grind well.
- When you touch and see the flour it should be in rava consistency.
- Put salt and add more water to the required consistency and mix well.
- Keep it in a large vessel with more space above it so that the flour will rise above and close with a lid.
- Let it ferment for about 12 to 15 hours.
- Next day grease the idli plates with oil and pour the idly carefully so that the flour should be just inside it.
- Arrange the plate in an alternate fashion otherwise idlies will stick together.
- Steam the idlies for 10 minutes.
- Take out the idly plates separately and keep on a table for five miutes.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
For video demonstration of the recipe, you can see the following video.