Rasam is an integral part of south indian lunch. My mother used to make different variety of rasams daily. Whenever I see rasam, I always like to have it. Now I am posting rasam made with dhal and rasam powder which I have posted in Powder varieties.
|Toor dhal||– ¼ cup|
|Tamarind||– small lemon sized|
|or Tamarind paste||– 2 tsp.|
|Rasam powder||– 2 tsp.|
|Dhania(coriander) leaves||– a handful|
|Turmeric powder||– ¼ tsp.|
|Asafetida||– ¼ tsp.|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Ghee or oil||– 2 tsp.|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
- Soak tamarind in hot water and take tamarind juice.
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces.
- Cook toor dhal with enough water and turmeric powder.
- In a pan, heat ghee and splutter mustard.
- Add tomatoes and fry till it turns mushy.
- Add the tamarind juice and cook till raw smell goes.
- Now add cooked dhal with 2 cups of water, rasam powder, salt and asafetida and boil.
- Switch off the stove and garnish with dhania leaves.