This is kerala style curry made of chickpeas (channa white or brown) and coconut with some spices. It goes well with puttu. Chickpea is rich in protein and fiber. My husband’s granny makes very tasty puttu and kadla.
|Kabuli channa or brown channa||– 2 cups|
|Big onion||– 2|
|Cumin seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Black pepper||– 1 tsp.|
|Chilli powder||– 2 tsp. heaped|
|Dhania powder||– 2 tsp. heaped|
|Ginger||– 1 inch piece cut finely|
|Grated coconut||– 1 cup|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
|Coconut oil||– 2 tsps.|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Coconut||– 2 tsps. (finely cut)|
- Wash and soak channa in enough water for 8 hours.
- Pressure cook channa for three whistles.
- Cut onions into long pieces.
- Heat a kadai and fry all the ingredients other than channa in medium flame till the coconut turns reddish brown and you get a nice aroma.
- Switch off the stove and let it cool.
- Now put this in a mixie and grind to a smooth paste by adding enough water.
- Add the ground mixture to the cooked channa with required salt and boil till the gravy thickens.
- In another small pan, heat oil and add mustard, ured dhal and coconut pieces and sauté till it turns golden brown and pour over the channa.