Today I made this sambar with lentils and drumsticks. Drumsticks are abundant in our Home town. But it is too costly here in Bangalore. So whenever I get it less, I make this sambar.
|Toor dhal||– ½ cup|
|Drumstick||– 2 big|
|Small onions||– ½ cup|
|Tamarind||– small lime sized|
|Turmeric powder||– ¼ tsp.|
|Sambar powder||– 3 tsps.|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Oil||– 2 tsps.|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Channa dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Asafoetida||– ¼ tsp.|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
- Soak tamarind in hot water and take tamarind juice.
- Cut drumsticks into 2 inch long pieces.
- Peel the onions and cut tomatoes finely.
- In a pressure cooker, take toor dhal and enough water.
- Add a pinch of turmeric and 1 tsp. of gingilly oil.
- Pressure cook for three whistles.
- In a pan, heat oil and splutter mustard.
- Then add ured and channa dhal and asafoetida powder.
- When it turns red, fry onions and drumsticks for five minutes.
- Now add tomatoes and fry till it turns mushy.
- Now add 1 cup of water and cook in low flame till all water evaporates.
- Now add the cooked dhal, tamarind juice, sambar powder and salt.
- Boil for five minutes till it becomes thick.
- Switch off and garnish with curry leaves.